Carmel Divorce Lawyers

Carmel divorce lawyers JR & Jill Emerson are committed to helping families through divorce, child custody and child support issues. JR & Jill are here to help clients in Carmel and West Carmel with their family's legal needs. JR & Jill understand the details involved with Indiana divorce laws. Our Carmel family law attorneys focus on Carmel divorce issues including:

JR & Jill are just a phone call away. But we can't help if you don't call.

FREE Initial Consultations With Carmel Divorce Attorneys 317-969-8000

Taking that first step to pickup the telephone and call an attorney can be a frightening step. If you or a loved one is contemplating divorce you should speak to an attorney. Call us, or call another attorney...but call someone so you can better understand the steps involved. We offer free initial phone and in-office consultations where we can discuss your situation privately with out any obligation to move forward.

We are here to help. Good luck. JR & Jill

Frequently Asked Carmel Divorce Questions

Do I have to live in Carmel in order to file for divorce in Hamilton County?

In order to divorce in Indiana one of you must have lived in Indiana for the past six months and in Hamilton County (or the County where you file) for the past three months.

In Carmel is there a waiting period before a divorce can be finalized?

We Can Help!

Invalid Email
Invalid Number

Yes.  Indiana has a 60-day waiting period after filing the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage.

While a divorce in Indiana can be a quick as 60 days, but most take longer and the length of time just depends on how much each party can agree upon..

In Hamilton County, how do we get my spouse the divorce documents?

Formally getting your spouse the divorce documents is called service of process.  Under Indiana law you serve your spouse via certified mail, by sheriff, or by private process server.  Most are served by certified mail, return receipt requested which makes the process very non-confrontational.

What if I don't know where my spouse is located?

In all cases you need to make reasonable efforts to locate your spouse.  But, if you still cannot find your spouse you can serve your spouse via publication, which means a small ad in the newspaper.

You can ask the Hamilton County Clerk's Office to set up service of Summons by publication, with the Times or the Noblesville Star.

Where do you file for divorce in Carmel or Hamilton County?

The county courts for Hamilton County are located in Noblesville.  You will file the Petition for Dissolution with the clerk’s office, who will then assign the case to a Court.

How much does it cost to file for divorce in Hamilton County?

Filing fees for Hamilton County are $141, plus any additional fees which may be appropriate.

Does Hamilton County have any rules that are different from other Indiana courts?

Yes. The Hamilton County courts require both parties to complete a financial declaration form within three days of a preliminary hearing or within 10 days of a final hearing. And if the parties reach and file an Agreement the financial declaration forms do not need to be filed with the court. Additionally, Hamilton County requires that when the parties have minor children in common they must attend a meeting called Child Cope With Divorce by the Visiting Nurses Service.

Carmel Resources

Divorce News

Child Custody

For many parents, child custody and parenting time problems create a great amount of unease. Basically in Indiana courts will resolve any dispute about child custody and parenting time according to the best interests of the children involved.

Child Support

Child support comes with rights and responsibilities.  Normally the non-custodial parent pays the parent with primary physical custody a monthly amount which is more or less fixed by the Indiana Child Support Guidelines.

Division of Assets

Indiana law creates a presumption that each party to a marriage is entitled to 50% of the marital property. This presumption can vary, but in most cases, each party is awarded 50% of the marital property and 50% of the marital debt.


Whether you are contemplating divorce, or been arrested or injured you are probably scared, unsure what will come next and what to do.  Give me a call. We will sit down, go over your options and work to find a way to move forward. Call me or another attorney. But call someone and get the help you deserve.

- JR Emerson, Attorney

I am here to help. I am not here to judge. For nearly 20 years I have been helping people in difficult situations and I would be happy to speak with you to see how I might be able to help you too.

- Jill Bracken-Emerson, Attorney


Schedule a Consultation Now!

If you need help we are happy to talk to you at no charge.  Give us a call or click the button to make an appointment.

About Us

Our office is located on the north side of Indianapolis at 98th Street and Keystone Avenue.

3091 E. 98th Street, Suite 180

Indianapolis, IN 46280

Phone: 1-317-969-8000


Our Services

Our attorneys represent people in need of assistance with personal injuries, car accidents, divorce, family law and DUI/OVWI matters.  Our clients typically live in counties throughout central Indiana including, Hamilton County, Boone County, Marion County, Hendricks County and Johnson County.  Please contact our office to learn how we can help.

Find Us

Contact Us

Please enter your name.
Please enter a message.

Copyright © 2017, Emerson Law L.L.C.

The laws governing legal advertising in the state of Indiana require the following statement in any publication of this kind: Advertising Material. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

This site makes use of licensed stock photography. All photography is for illustrative purposes only and all persons depicted are models unless otherwise noted.

JR Emerson is an attorney who represents men and women in family law matters including divorce, child custody modification, and child support modification in Marion County, Hendricks County, Boone County, Hamilton County, Hancock County, Madison County, Johnson County. Cities in which he practices include: Zionsville, Lebanon, Whitestown, Carmel, West Clay, Westfield, Noblesville, Fishers, Lawrence, Beech Grove, Speedway, Greenwood, Southport, Franklin, Plainfield, Avon and Danville, Indiana.