What is Joint Physical Custody?

The right to have a child live with him or her

Joint Physical Custody

The right to have a child live with him or her

Physical custody means that a parent has the right to have a child live with him or her.

Joint Physical Custody

Some parents share joint physical custody, and the children live with each parent 50% of the time. Such an arrangement allows both parents to have maximum parenting time with their children while parenting separately. Joint physical custody works best when both parents live close to each other.

For such an arrangement to work parents need to live in relative close to each other. This is particularly important if children are school age, where both parents need to live within a commutable distance to the child's school, for such an arrangement to work.


Joint physical custody of children also works best if children are a little older.


What if the Child or Children are Very Young?

Where a child is still very young, the courts may prefer for one parent to have primary physical custody, while the other parent has liberal parenting time. For joint physical custody to work, parents also need to be able to co-parent effectively.


Effective co-parenting requires parents to be able to get along well, respect each other, and be able to set and abide by boundaries. Where families have high conflict or where there are accusations of abuse or neglect, joint physical custody is not recommended.



Copyright © 2013, Emerson Law L.L.C.

The laws governing legal advertising in the state of Indiana require the following statement in any publication of this kind: Advertising Material. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

This site makes use of licensed stock photography. All photography is for illustrative purposes only and all persons depicted are models unless otherwise noted.

JR Emerson is an attorney who represents car accident victims, slip and fall victims, semi-truck and 18 wheeler victims, nursing home abuse victims, medical and dental malpractice victims, acts as a criminal defense attorney representing those accused of possession, minor in consumption, domestic violence, battery, assault, dui, ect, and family law including divorce, child custody modification, and child support modification in Marion County, Hendricks County, Boone County, Hamilton County, Hancock County, Madison County, Johnson County. Cities in which he practices include: Zionsville, Lebanon, Whitestown, Carmel, West Clay, Westfield, Noblesville, Fishers, Lawrence, Beech Grove, Speedway, Greenwood, Southport, Franklin, Plainfield, Avon and Danville, Indiana. 317 Law.


  • I am here to help. I am not here to judge. For nearly 20 years I have been helping people in difficult situations and I would be happy to speak with you to see how I might be able to help you too.

  • Jill, JR and I are here to help you navigate this difficult time. We understand the impact this stressful time can have on you and your family. Just give us a call, we would love to see if we can help.

  • Whether you are contemplating divorce, or been arrested or injured you are probably scared, unsure what will come next and what to do. That's my job. Give me a call. We will sit down, go over your options and work to find a way to move forward. You are not in this alone. Call me or another attorney. But call someone and get the help you deserve.


Twitter Updates

Indianapolis Medical Malpractice Attorney | https://t.co/Clt90Fw1x9 2 weeks 6 days ago
The weekend isn't far away. Please be careful and don't drink and drive. https://t.co/pkZYQnkf4r 3 months 3 weeks ago
Cop Runs Over 15yo Boy, Leaves Car On for 10 Minutes as He ‘Burned Alive’ https://t.co/MmVNXkgf2L via 3 months 4 weeks ago